Sail size

This forum is for the discussion of Open Canoe Sailing
restoreman123

Sail size

Post by restoreman123 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:44 am

Hello again,
I will be making the sail, what material I don't know yet, but I was wondering if there is a formula for size. My cockpit is only 110cm long and I will need to take down and put up the sail as needed on the water. I also might need to paddle my kayak some, because the sides are high and I sit 7cm above the keel or about at the waterline actually, I have about a 20cm sidewall to paddle around. It makes me stroke higher than I normally would with a regular kayak paddle. I have to decide the ht of the sail and the length or width of it. After that I will have to think about all the other stuff, fastening one side vs leaving them free, etc. There's a lot to learn here. Okay looking forward to hearing from you. Vince :D

GBR242

Re: Sail size

Post by GBR242 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:49 am

Sails for the IC are controlled by a rule, but if you were designing yourself...it is largely up to you, within the basic parameters of normal yacht design I would think.

I would suggest asking the OCSG. I think they used to have a size-limit....which was then dropped to leave it open??

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
GBR314 - Silver Surfer
GBR242 - For sale
Lowly forum moderator
Classic & Vintage Racing Dinghy Association
http://www.cvrda.org