fore and aft rails advice needed

Use this forum if you are after advice on sailing your canoe
IC235

fore and aft rails advice needed

Post by IC235 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:11 am

My rail system has died currently have 22mm holt/ronstan track with carriage on top the sliders have bent after comming of the top of a wave result brocken carridge and a very cold swim.

Looking at the system and speaking to the local metal basher I think i need a re-design.

I am looking a sideways mounted stainless u section with 4 ptfe sliders mounted on the bottom of the carriage.

Has anyone any views on whether this will work?

What thicknes PTFe should I be aiming for?

Or can offer a simpler /easier to build solution?

Thanks for the help in advance
Ian W
IC235/IC176A
AC269 sailing out of Lyme Regis

Steve Clark

Re: fore and aft rails advice needed

Post by Steve Clark » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:57 pm

Ian
You don't need to play with stainless.
Around here we have been happy to use 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" channel. If the backup is appropriate we screw this to the deck. If not we bolt it. Something like 4" between centers.
( all in Imperial measurements, sorry but don't know what the off the shelf sizes of aluminum channel are in UK)
The brackets are also cut from 1/8" L that starts out life probably as 3" x3" One leg is shortened to become the tab that fits into the runner. It gets UHMW stuck or fastened to it to fill up the runner.
Usually we make these bits the full length of the carriage.

More recently I have been making my own channel buy folding a bunch of carbon fiber over a piece of plastic wrapped 6mm plywood. I use clamps and strips of timber to compact this mess and trim it with a table saw. Because it is carbon, I can bond it to the deck with epoxy which eliminates all those pesky screw holes.
I do a similar thing for the carriage bits.
SHC
Beatings will continue until morale improves

IC235

Post by IC235 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:12 pm

Thanks Steve

I think i follow that what kind of layup do you use for the rails, are you making the slider out of carbon as well?

If so do you also go full length of the carraige.

If you have a picture of the current setup I would be very gratefull if you could email it to me at ian.charles.wallace"at"gmail.com remove at

Thanks again Ian
AC269 sailing out of Lyme Regis

Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:39 pm

Ian:
http://www.intcanoe.us/content/view/111/29/
Should give you an idea
SHC
Beatings will continue until morale improves