Spinnaker Hallyard

Use this forum if you are after advice on sailing your canoe
Arne GER 76

Post by Arne GER 76 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:43 pm

Hello,
what kind of rope do you use as a spinnaker hallyard?
Which shows the best characteristics?
Arne
GER 76

Christian AUS

Post by Christian AUS » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:11 am

Hi Arne,
I'm going with 4mm Spectra for mine, as it has high strength properties. But I'm sure there'll be some good info from the UK guys based on their experience.

<i>Dyneema/Spectra - Extended chain high modulus polyethylene (HMPE) core, polyester multi filament cover. Multi colours.

Diameter (mm) 2 3 4 5 6 8 10 12
Nominal Break Load (kg) 240 350 570 920 1500 2760 4150 5530 </i>

Rob

Post by Rob » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:47 am

Hi Arne, its taken quite a while to sort out the best rope to use for the kite halyard (not as straight foreward as it might seem). Its not so much its strength but how supple the rope is to go through the many blocks in the system with as little friction as possible & not twisting. The first halyards we used were straight foreward 4mm pre stretch 8 plait. The trouble with this is that it has a core which, when under load, will twist the outer core making the system jam at times, not good. I've tried many non core lines in different diameters with no twisting but different frictions & thankfully, due to the new range of hi tech ropes out there, find the 3mm Marlow D12(Dynema) or 3mm V12(Vectran)the best with much reduced friction due to their diameter & flexability & do not twist as they have no core. The only downside is their relatively expensive. These new style ropes do allow thin inner lines to be inserted in the core to thicken the line where specifically it goes into the jam cleat. 3mm lines will have a tendancy to slip through the cleat if it is not thickened by this method at these points. I usually insert a 300mm piece of 2mm burgee line in the core approx 150mm ither side of where the halyard finishes in the pump up cleat when the kite is up.
My sugestion is use 21 meters of 3mm Marlow D12. It works superbly & its now what most of us in the UK are now using & what I fit to all new AC's & cheaper than the 3mm V12. Happy pumping, Rob

colin brown

Post by colin brown » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:25 pm

My experience over the last season is to take Rob's advice. I use 3mm V12from Holts, excellent but I'm having continued trouble with the Northfix cleats bending, just as you said I would. See you in Germany!
colin brown

Arne GER 76

Post by Arne GER 76 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:05 am

Hello,
thanks for the info. I think I found the same product from LIROS. Marlow is not available in Germany. Cleating is not a problem, when there is inserted a piece of rope/elastics? Even with that dyneema surface?
Hope to see you all in Germany.
Arne
GER 76

ianw

Re: Spinnaker Hallyard

Post by ianw » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:11 am

Any advice on the thickness of the take-away? The system on my boat seems a little spoungy its currently rigged with 1.5mm bungee.

IC235 / AC176

Barry Watkin

Post by Barry Watkin » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:09 am

Ian, unless you've changed it, it's 3mm. I started off with 5mm as RS700's but changed it having seen Robin & Robs.
Regards Barry. :mrgreen:
BMW

ianw

Post by ianw » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:16 am

Hi Barry,

Gone for 3 mm, the weather has conspired against me since I have got the boat I have only managed 2 sails.

Ian

Barry Watkin

Post by Barry Watkin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:11 pm

I guess that sums up the season! But I'm sure you'll get a few laughs from her.
I'm watching to see how the DC growth goes but if I was living on the mainland then it would be no contest & I'd quite happily invest in a newer AC & play opens. For now however theres a Solo in the workshop which I can bounce over the rocks & sail in a force 5 without any worries of organ transplant!
All the best Barry. :mrgreen:
BMW

Christian AUS

Post by Christian AUS » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:27 pm

Barry Watkin wrote:I guess that sums up the season! But I'm sure you'll get a few laughs from her.
I'm watching to see how the DC growth goes but if I was living on the mainland then it would be no contest & I'd quite happily invest in a newer AC & play opens. For now however theres a Solo in the workshop which I can bounce over the rocks & sail in a force 5 without any worries of organ transplant!
All the best Barry. :mrgreen:
It's 'IC' growth now since the IC body successfully changed the rules, and IC's built to the new rules (http://www.intcanoe.org/newsite/index.p ... &Itemid=74) have it all over AC's in my opinion. And I've owned and raced both 8)

but as long as you're sailing then its all good

charlie1502

Post by charlie1502 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:45 pm

I need to sort out a new kite halyard; anyone out there with any experience of the 2.5mm D12, is it too thin? Am I better off spending a few quid more and getting the 3mm?
AC GBR 284

SteveC

Post by SteveC » Tue May 04, 2010 11:26 am

Some information which may be useful. I discovered a problem which explains why the halyard twists sometimes under load when playing with the new boat. I found that if you have a pulley or an eyelet which under load is not properly aligned, the drag on one side of the rope can exert a twisting action. The Northfix cleats than act to straighten out the twist which then effectively lock the twisted rope between the Northix block and the elastic takeaway is acting - hence the whole lot twists up. You then find the opposite twist appears on the other side of the non active Northfix.

The solution is to make sure you have all your fittings on the deck properly aligned and that the pulleys take all the load without any rubbing on the sides of the pulley exits. Also makes sure the run between the most aft pulley to the one near the mast step is clear through the various eyelets.

I used 4mm D12 to make a non pumped system easier to handle but have now gone back to a pumped system for the time being and the thicker rope makes this problem worse presummably due to the greater possibility of touching the sides of a block or eyelet. I have 3mm D12 as recommended by Rob on order.
Steve Clarke (UK)
GBR338 "Money4Nuffin