*Increasing* plank friction!

Use this forum if you are after advice on sailing your canoe
jimc

*Increasing* plank friction!

Post by jimc » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm using the ex Tin Teardrop Andy Paterson plank on 257, and in recent weeks I'verun into a quite unexpected problem - too slippery a plank! I throw it across, roll through a tack, and when I come to sit back down the plank has slid toio leeward... Its running on 4 cedar pads at each corner of the carriage, plus a carbon top rail... Any ideas folks?

To add amusement for others this was compunded today by my freshly washed wetsuit being uncommonly slippery too, although it calmed down after adding some lake water. There were occasions in race one when I had to drop the mainsheet and grab a bit of non-motile boat to avoid going in to leeward as I slid down a plank that was itself sliding...

robert stebbing

Re: *Increasing* plank friction!I had a similar problem a while

Post by robert stebbing » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:56 pm

jimc wrote:I'm using the ex Tin Teardrop Andy Paterson plank on 257, and in recent weeks I'verun into a quite unexpected problem - too slippery a plank! I throw it across, roll through a tack, and when I come to sit back down the plank has slid toio leeward... Its running on 4 cedar pads at each corner of the carriage, plus a carbon top rail... Any ideas folks?

To add amusement for others this was compunded today by my freshly washed wetsuit being uncommonly slippery too, although it calmed down after adding some lake water. There were occasions in race one when I had to drop the mainsheet and grab a bit of non-motile boat to avoid going in to leeward as I slid down a plank that was itself sliding...

Steve Clark

Re: *Increasing* plank friction!

Post by Steve Clark » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:32 pm

Usually the supper sliding seat is caused by having a fit that is too good. The seat needs to point load in order to stay in place so usually the first best move is to increase the gap between the seat and carriage so it rocks a bit in the carriage, this makes it "jam' just a bit and stay in place.

Usually the right amount is just enough to let your jib sheets get caught :shock:

The leash can make a difference on the throw. it it is too stretchy, the seat can bounce back off the end of the toss, which is also pretty annoying. Trial and error with different scraps is called for, but recently we have had pretty good luck with 3mm dymeema.
SHC
Beatings will continue until morale improves

Andy P

Post by Andy P » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:15 am

It originally had a good fit and nice slidy nylon bearing pads - mistake!
Any major heel in a puff ended up with me up to waist in water as the seat slid across with me on it.
Replacing the nylon with yellow cedar pads, and a bit of wear made it just about the right slidiness for me - it locked up when on the seat, and slid over when unloaded ( except when the mainsheet / control-line tails got stuck in the gaps )
Maybe smaller bearing surface on the timber pads to increase the load per sq mm would help, or a different timber. - or don't heel over :wink:

Barry Watkin

Post by Barry Watkin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:05 pm

A bit late but during my brief play I had the same fun, as I recall I stopped it by fitting a piece of Pro-grip (75 x 20mm long) to the underside of the top of the carriage at each corner. As Steve said it then 'bit up' underload. Regards Barry X GBR176AC :mrgreen:
BMW

Alistair

Post by Alistair » Thu May 12, 2011 7:02 am

So with no load on the seat what gap should I be looking for between the top of the seat and carage? Should be setting up my new seat in the next couple of weeks, I think the last one had 4mm slop, perhaps I should go to 6mm???
Alistair

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu May 12, 2011 8:23 am

Hi Al, 4mm isn't very much as you have probably found, try an 8mm gap, fore & aft too. The smaller the area of contact the more point friction you will get when loaded, that should help keep the seat out better when you heel the boat.

robert stebbing

Post by robert stebbing » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:23 am

An immediate solution to this problem is to stick 4 inches of Gorilla tape on the ends of the carriage sliders.The friction is then so good you often need to lift a dry plank a little to get it to start sliding! I did this to the tufnol sliders on AC 279 quite a while ago.The tape is still there many outings later and working very well.