GPS onwater training tools

Use this forum to discuss the latest changes in the class

Are you interested in being a part of a 'group buy' for a Velocitek SC-1?

You may select 1 option

View results

Christian AUS

GPS onwater training tools

Post by Christian AUS » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:45 pm

Just floating an idea about onboard electronic tools for data gathering. I know at the skippers meeting in Jan 2008 we voted against electronics, but I still think there is a lot of advantages in them for training and discussion of how different hulls/rigs are fairing in the 3 years between Worlds.

I'm planning on getting one for my new boat, but it would be more meaningful if a few other IC's around the place had them to so we could compare data. Then I saw on their site that they do bulk buy discounts http://store.velocitek.com/Velocitek-Fleet-Pack_2 I wondered who else in IC's might be interested.

If you agree that having a Velocitek or similar would be useful, and you'd be happy parting with somewhere around $400AUD for a technogadget. Please let me know on this poll. If there is interest from 10 or more people I will ask for contact details and approach Velocitek to see what they can do.

Cheers
Last edited by Christian AUS on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christian AUS

Re: GPS onwater training tools

Post by Christian AUS » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:50 pm

So, not a lot of interest in something like this for training? I'll be picking one up when I start building the new boat, so I'll post how useful it is when I get one.

simon allen

Post by simon allen » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Useful on occasions maybe. But not that useful, unless linked with other data for analytical purposes. How is the poll going on the Worlds' spacing going? Who will decide and when?
All the best

Simon A
simon allen

Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:40 pm

I sail with a Velociteck about half the time.
The speedo gives you some instant feedback on what the speed gains/ losses are at different headings, which helps you learn where the go buttons are hidden.
The logging function gives you the opportunity to review the sail and form a better opinion of your tacking and gybing angles.
Using Velocitek's VMG function is a slippery slope that will as often as not give you misleading data. If there is any variation in wind direction, you tacking/ gybing angles will be affected and unless you can shorten the time window down to the duration of an individual shift, you will be mislead into believing your angles are better than they are. This is why all real VMG solutions rely on accurate true wind logs to determine what the apparent wind angles really are. There is no cheap way to do this, yet.
However, we have had some god info from tuning with twop or more boats all equipped with Velociteks. You can identify who is going faster and when, and sometimes even discover how they are doing it.
The cost of these things is less than a suit of sails, and will last 5 times as long, so by my thinking they are adffordable and useful.
Which is why I proposed the rule.

SHC
Beatings will continue until morale improves