International Website - Reliving Old Dreams and Past Glories

News and Updates
jimc

International Website - Reliving Old Dreams and Past Glories

Post by jimc » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:08 pm

I've been having a bit of a session on the International website, http://www.intcanoe.org

1) It looks a little different: had a bit of a play with the aesthetics
2) I've done more work on small device smartphone etc compatability, and I'd very much appreciate testing, especially on phones and tablets. It should be rather less graphical on small devices, but rather more readable. As the display width increases the screen should acquire more graphics, culminating in first one then a second column of photos which should magnify when you move the pointer over them.
3) I've added the lists of World, Europa and NYCC champions to the extent I have them. Corrections/additions wanted.
4) I've been going through some old newsletters and putting together pages on the more recent International events with reports. More are welcome.
5) I still welcome contributions of banner graphics to go on the top of the page, and of really nice photos for the sidebar image galleries. All the photos thus far are sourced from europe - you americans must surely have some high quality images you can send me... Banner graphics should be 630*120 pixels, and white text seems to look best.

Feedback is welcome wanted and essential. Please help!

regards, Jim C

jimc

Re: International Website - Reliving Old Dreams and Past Glories

Post by jimc » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks to help from various parties, and a new PC and scanner with better OCR capabilities I've managed to add a great many historical reports to the International website so we now have reports uploaded of the majority of events from 1990 on, plus a few earlier. Quite a few of these are truncated versions published in Yachts and Yachting, with only a few results, rather than the fuller versions published in class mags. Inevitably too these are UK focussed reports.

I would love, if you have the material anywhere, copies of the missing material. I have, or are promised, UK magazines 89-92, 1991-2001, 2005 on. The specific events I haven't been able to track down reports for are:-

Worlds
=====
1938 (!)
1961, 1965, 1969
1972, 1975, 1978

NYCCC Challenges
=============
(faint hope with the earlier stuff!)
1886, 1888, 1890, 1894, 1895
1913, 1914,
1961, 1974

Europa Trophy
===========
1983 (not even medal winners for this one), 1988, 2003

I'd also appreciate if people read these if they can let me know errors, omissions, spelling mistakes, inaccuracies, bad links, general proof reading etc.

Thanks to Simon Hotchin, Rob Michael, Colin Newman and others I've forgotten to credit for their assistance.
Last edited by jimc on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Updated list of missing reports after receiving a few more.

deharddinghysailor

Post by deharddinghysailor » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Hi all

I acquired with my recently purchased IC a video of various IC activities, namely: Channel sailing '96; '96 Worlds Australia; '91 S.F.Bay sailing; and '93 Worlds SF Bay. All good stuff, quality varied.
I had the video transferred to disc and am going to get copies made to distribute to whomever. I believe the editing was done by Del Olsen....? as his name is on the video........

I'm new to the IC, having waited till just before my 70th to try to learn to sail one!! Its a lot of fun, but not sure how much swimming I'm up for at this point in my life! I live on Whidbey Island,off Seattle coast, having emigrated here 4 years ago, following a lifetime of dinghy sailing in UK and Australia.

So there you go, please let me know if I can be of service regards the DVD's, I have no idea if they are in general circulation or not, but I do know Tony Marston (whom I met last year) is in one of the movies, and wants a copy!

Cheers

Mike Scott
Whidbey Island. WA

IC USA 155 "Chaos"

H Virtue

Post by H Virtue » Tue May 06, 2014 11:22 pm

Have you gone through all the old "International Canoeletters" from USA? they were on the old US website before it got attacked. I downloaded them if you need copies to search through..

H.

ortegakid

Post by ortegakid » Fri May 09, 2014 8:06 pm

I have all the paper copies of the Canoesletters, graciously given to me by Dave Ellis, if anyone wants to see or copy.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:37 pm

My project to get together old reports for the major international events has reached a pause, after having mined the Y&Y archives to good effect (many thanks Gael). I suppose I could see if the Royal Canoe Club has any material, but I imagine anything of theirs will fade out in the 60s. The results are also, unsuprisingly, depressingly brit centric, and really need a lot more from other national viewpoints. I have copies of the US canoesletter from 1979 to 1985 and 2000- 2009, which ought to give me a second viewpoint on some of the events, but we really ought to have much more Swedish and German material. I'd be delighted to publish material in Swedish and German too, as I have no useful language skills.

On the subject of languages, the International Pages really badly need the content, or at least the main content translated into different languages, and even/especially with the aid of google I am utterly incapable of doing so. Volunteers would be useful. German and Swedish I would regard as key in view of their importance in the canoe class but I suppose in an ideal world we would include the other five official UN languages, Arabic, Standard Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish. If you can speak sailing in any of these and would like to help please please get in touch.

Anyway these are events I have no useful reports for...

Worlds
=====
1938 (!)
1965, 1969, 1972

NYCCC Challenges
=============
(got some of the earlier stuff from web published US newspapers)
1888, 1894, 1895
1961, 1974

Europa Trophy
===========
1983 and earlier, at which stage it wasn't the Europa trophy)

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:25 pm

jimc wrote:Thanks to help from various parties, and a new PC and scanner with better OCR capabilities I've managed to add a great many historical reports to the International website so we now have reports uploaded of the majority of events from 1990 on, plus a few earlier. Quite a few of these are truncated versions published in Yachts and Yachting, with only a few results, rather than the fuller versions published in class mags. Inevitably too these are UK focussed reports.

I would love, if you have the material anywhere, copies of the missing material. I have, or are promised, UK magazines 89-92, 1991-2001, 2005 on. The specific events I haven't been able to track down reports for are:-

Worlds
=====
1938 (!)
1961, 1965, 1969
1972, 1975, 1978

NYCCC Challenges
=============
(faint hope with the earlier stuff!)
1886, 1888, 1890, 1894, 1895
1913, 1914,
1961, 1974

Europa Trophy
===========
1983 (not even medal winners for this one), 1988, 2003

I'd also appreciate if people read these if they can let me know errors, omissions, spelling mistakes, inaccuracies, bad links, general proof reading etc.

Thanks to Simon Hotchin, Rob Michael, Colin Newman and others I've forgotten to credit for their assistance.
John Lammerts van Bueren
The Netherlands
K-189 / GBR-273 / GBR-284