The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: World Champion IC for sale
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:25 pm 

I'm posting this for Todd Twigg....photos are on the Facebook IC page.

Dear fellow IC sailors and their envious friends,

The fastest International Canoe in the world is being offered for sale and is en route and should be available to compete for the 2017 IC World Championship in Pwllheli Wales this August.

Due to strained family finances and health limitations I am offering for immediate sale my beloved International Canoe USA 248 "Cleo Matilda" previously named "Groove Moves" when it won the 2014 IC World Championship, sailed by Mikey Radziejowski.

This super fast and brilliantly rigged boat came from the 'Super String Theory' mold of designer Chris Maas (also a IC world champion sailor) and was fitted out and rigged by another famed IC builder/sailor, Erich Chase of Petaluma CA, who originally named her "Farm Fit".

Further evidence that this boat is fast and easy to sail, as a novice IC sailor I was able to finish 3rd in the 2016 IC North American Champion ship (ahead of Chris Maas) and 2nd in the 2017 US National Championship (behind Mr Maas, but with two first place finishes), and winner of the decades old Butler Trophy at the 2016 Sugar Island Encampment.

All parts and conditions of parts and hull are identical to their state when sailed by Mikey during the 2014 World Championship with the following exceptions:
1. less radical but equally awesome Eric Taylor sails matched to the carbon rig, beautiful, fast and sophisticated adjustability to suit all wind speeds (see attached photos with old number 241)
2. travel of seat carriage has been improved with an extra 40mm of forward range
3. single hiking strap has been upgraded to a double hiking strap with a Maas designed/built carbon bracket
4. cosmetic ding on the top corner of the bow that happened last week and was not dry enough to repair before loading into the shipping container on 07/20/17.

The amount of fun experienced on this boat exceeds all quantification. Top speeds are insane but remarkably controllable. Sailing in light air is just as dreamy. Wish I didn't need to sell her to save the farm!

Asking price for immediate transfer of ownership upon safe arrival of the shipping container at Plas Heli, Pwllheli, Wales, is US$20,000 not including tax if applicable. I believe this is a bargain considering that the 2014 IC Worlds 2nd place boat sold for many thousands more (granted that was Maas rigged boat USA 254 with a mint paint job while USA248 has retained its humble but slippery white primer aesthetic).

USA 248 has proven speed under all wind conditions and proven durability in the severe conditions offered by SF Bay and the Columbia River Gorge. This boat has made IC history and is ready to add further wins in the records books with its new owner.

If no buyer consummates the sale before August 18 (the day before start of 2017 IC Worlds) then she will be sailed by me or another lucky chap. My airplane ticket is already booked (though still looking for a place to pitch my tent)! In this case, sealed bids for purchase will be received up to August 24 and will be opened after the last day of racing, August 25, minimum bid US $16,000.

Many pictures are available online of Mikey sailing IC USA 248 at the 2014 IC Worlds in Richmond, CA. Here is a link to a good one on Sailing Anarchy: http://sailinganarchy.com/2014/09/14/canoe-who-knew/

Attached are some beautiful photos taken by Luka Bartulovic (sailingshot.com) of hull#248 (with sail#241) ripping around at the Sugar Island encampment and in Narragansett Bay.

I hope to borrow a Nethercott until I have enough coin to start building my own new rules boat. Apprehensive though that I will need to compete against #248 in the future!

I have been spoiled getting to learn on the best boat in the world. Who will be the next lucky one to sail this blessed boat?!!!

Good luck to all the other 2017 IC Worlds competitors!

Todd Twigg
todd.twigg@gmail.com
268 School Road
Lopez Island, Washington
98261, USA