The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: XX World Championship 2017
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:34 pm 

At the last World championship held at Richmond YC USA in 2014, it was agreed that Sweden would be asked to explore the possibility of hosting the 2017 Worlds, with the UK and Australia as alternatives if this was not possible. Unfortunately the Swedish IC sailors have been unable to find a club that is able to host the Championship, and the Australians have since had to withdraw their offer for the same reason.

I am delighted to confirm the UK’s offer to host the XX International Canoe World Championship has been accepted by the ICF Sailing Committee. The event will be held at Pwllheli Sailing Club in Wales during August 2017.

We are fortunate to have the opportunity to sail at Pwllheli, which is one of the foremost championship venues in the UK.

Further details will be published shortly.

Phil
Chairman
ICF Sailing Committee

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: XX World Championship 2017
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:25 pm 

That is great news. The Welsh are building a brand new sailing centre at Pwllheli along the same lines as the National Sailing Academy at Weymouth that several of the sailors from overseas will know from previous World Championships held in the UK. When I was last at the site in October 2014, building work was well underway so it should be finished well before 2017. Scenically the whole area is much more pleasing than Weymouth with distant views of the mountains of Snowdonia when out on the water. There is a good chandler among the complex of buildings at the site which also has a large marina for yachts. Visitors from overseas who can spare the time should aim to add a holiday in neighbouring Snowdonia (North Wales) to their itinerary as it is one of the UK's best-loved holiday areas. (My wife and I have a holiday log cabin about 30 miles from Pwllheli which we lend to friends.)

I have sailed at Pwllheli about twenty years ago when I won the 'open' single-handed class in the Welsh Games in my IC. At the time the Welsh RYA was trying to revive the Welsh Games as an annual event and non-Welsh sailors were allowed to enter. Dinghy launching is from a sandy beach into the relatively sheltered and thus flat waters of a small lagoon, from which it is a short sail round the headland into the open waters of Tremadoc Bay and what then becomes the Irish Sea. I seem to recall when I sailed there it was quite windy, but the waves were no great problem for the IC (no different from New Quay along the coast to the South where I have sailed a lot or Abersoch about twelve miles further down the coast where ICs have frequently raced before.)

I turn 75 shortly after the 2017 Worlds so my personal ambition will be to make up the numbers in 'Endgame,' my 2009 rules IC of the Dragonfly design that I bought new, two years ago. Two weeks ago, my cardiologist warns me that the time is getting nearer when I will need open heart surgery for replacement Aortic and Mitral heart valves, so may be I should be pressing for this 'hardware upgrade' over the winter of 2016 with time for recovery before the Worlds. I may also need to have a heart pacemaker fitted, so by then I could be going well on batteries like the Duracell bunny as seen on British TV! One day at a time, but I am still enjoying racing my IC at my club with some success (lying first or second in three different handicap series). I will be gutted if I am not up to sailing at Pwllheli in two years time as it really is one of the best venues in the UK and popular with other classes. Do try to plan your life around being there, it will be well worth making the trip to Wales for this event. I have no reservations about recommending it as a venue for IC sailing. It is a place where even the 'also rans' should be able to finish races in most conditions with a good launching and recovery situation. See you there, DV.

Colin Newman (GBR 326)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:09 pm 

This is most awesome news, and I have added it to my bucket list as I was not able to attend last worlds, (even though it was much closer), am making reservations soon, any ideas of where to stay and if any charters will be available most helpful, as I think it would be cheaper than shipping my AC back home.
:D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:53 am 

Will the AC's be invited to sail at the next Worlds in Pwllheli? Just asking. Would be nice to know ASAP. Thanks DG

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:25 am 

One principle we have is to be as inclusive as possible so that we attract many canoe sailors to Pwllheli. Providing we have enough AC entries it is expected that there will be separate racing for AC's.

The decision on Pwllheli is very recent so the organisation is just getting going!
Please be patient...all will be revealed in due course!

Tony M
GBR332

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:53 pm 

There will be enough ACs.
Steve AC310

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:56 am 

steveb wrote:
There will be enough ACs.
Steve AC310

Man! Does this mean my AC title will be up for grabs again :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:16 am 

I certainly aim to be at Pwllheli with my AC.

Peter
GBR 280

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:09 pm 

Tony Marston, who has kindly taken responsibilty for organising the 2017 Worlds has confirmed the dates are:

Saturday 19 August to Friday 25 August 2017

Arrangements are in hand to enable participants can arrive at the club the previous week for practice.

Save the date in your calendar now!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:51 pm 

The current, i.e. August, issue of 'Yachts and Yachting' contains and article on sailing in North Wales, featuring especially the new Welsh Sailing Centre at Pwllheli. There is a rather good aerial photo of the site showing clearly the beach into the lagoon where dinghies launch.

The web site of Pwllheli Sailing Club also has several photos of the new facility. Apparently, in some wind directions waves in the racing area can get quite big according to a 420 sailor featured in the 'Yachts and Yachting' article. It is worth a read. It also makes the point that being on a peninsular sea breezes are not much of a feature at this venue, so conditions are mostly determined by the gradient wind.

Colin Newman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:21 pm 

If Holland fails to be represented at Pwllheli I promise to eat my shoes !
Count on one, an hopefully two AC's

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:01 am 

The 29er Worlds have just been run at Pwhelli. See the attached link which shows very nicely the conditions and the venue holding a major event.

https://vimeo.com/136645127

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:22 pm 

Great looking new facilities at the Welsh National Sailing Academy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:45 pm 

Outstanding footage of 49ers. Suggests an awesome challenge for ANY canoe at medium to top end of wind range and fitness/skills absolutely paramount .
What are requirements for entry qualification for each faction of canoe design and how will all be integrated. This is very important right now particularly following decision in Germany which was diverse from previous championships.
Steve AC 310

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:40 am 

Is it too early to enquire about charter boat options for those looking into traveling from way down south?
Brett AUS33

Profile E-mail