Richmond YC XIX World Championships 2014 USA

A forum to discuss issues related to the Worlds
jimc

Re: Richmond YC XIX World Championships 2014 USA

Post by jimc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:50 am

As I'm unlikely to be able to go don't give this comment much weight, but something I've observed with sailors of recent years (not just Canoes, other classes with younger average ages too) is that whilst away from the water at AGMs and suchlike they tend to vote for as many races as possible, all back to back, when it comes right down to the actual day on the water the fleets tend to seize every opportunity they can for a quick break ashore, especially a mid day break. Also if there are more than two races in a row in the afternoon there's a tendency at the tail of the fleet to skip the last one.

The other things I *think* I see, but it might be my own bias showing, is that there's something of a preference for being closer to the shore and dealing with unevenness of tide and wind rather than sailing 5 miles out to where it might be more even, and for getting on with the racing rather than waiting 30 minutes for the wind to settle and to attempt to set a perfect course. Of course you have to deal with the venue as it is: everywhere isn't New Quay with the open sea 50 yards out of a sheltered harbour! Naturally these are both things where the least worse compromise must be attempted!

Del Olsen

Post by Del Olsen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:13 am

Another issue is that on multiple race days the wait between can be brutal. It takes almost as much effort and energy to cruise around as does to race. The class that's always put a high premium on finishing a race , in the past giving a scoring differential for DNF over DNS. At some point I seem to recall a DNF was 1+ the number of finishers and a DNS was 1+ the number of registrants. Based on that I'm somewhat loath to consider something like a 10 min TLE provision to keep wait times between races down. As with most things there is no perfect solution, we just do what is humanly possible
As to long commutes, the race area is a relatively short sail of about a mile for the predominant wind. You can check out the area on Google Maps
Cheers,
Del

colin brown

Post by colin brown » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi Del, 1 or up to 2 races a day will be fine by me. I do find that trying to eat and drink between races in the new rules canoes a real pain. Still cannot seem to sail it in any weight of wind and reach the drinking bottle!
We have managed to pack in 12 IC,s in the past into a 40 footer, so I assume the same number will fit this time. You really need to speak to Al Warren who is master minding the container for the trip, he may have some provisional numbers for you.

Regards Colin
colin brown

Alistair

Post by Alistair » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:44 pm

In the hope of attracting more competitors we can offer spaces in the UK container to other european nations. I am thinking of the Netherlands and French sailors in particular. Jim will be putting the application form on the international web site shortly.
Alistair

robert stebbing

Post by robert stebbing » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:52 pm

Del Olsen wrote:Another issue is that on multiple race days the wait between can be brutal. It takes almost as much effort and energy to cruise around as does to race. The class that's always put a high premium on finishing a race , in the past giving a scoring differential for DNF over DNS. At some point I seem to recall a DNF was 1+ the number of finishers and a DNS was 1+ the number of registrants. Based on that I'm somewhat loath to consider something like a 10 min TLE provision to keep wait times between races down. As with most things there is no perfect solution, we just do what is humanly possible
As to long commutes, the race area is a relatively short sail of about a mile for the predominant wind. You can check out the area on Google Maps
Cheers,
Del
Hi Del,
Just love your dancing shoes man.
Being a veteran of Travemunde 2011,I applaud the start area being close to the club and beach.
I think this fact alone makes it possible to avoid hanging around between races.
If conditions are fair (say less than 13 kts),we could have 2 back to back races in a day.
Or if the wind is up we could have a race am followed by a break ashore,and a race pm.This way we can individually come ashore at the end of the race in question and therefore deal with the waiting issue between races.
Looking forward to a bit of sunshine. Rob S.

chrishampe

Post by chrishampe » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:20 pm

Any NOR yet? An idea of entry fees would be useful

Del Olsen

Post by Del Olsen » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:26 pm

The NOR is being proofed and the regatta budget is set to be approved Next Thursday so look for an announcement here very soon.
Del

Del Olsen

Post by Del Olsen » Fri May 02, 2014 5:27 pm

Here we go!
After far too many delays I expect the NOR and on line registration to up and running in a few days time.
Everyone will be able to register, for the Regatta, and pay by credit card, you can also sign up for housing , purchase meals in advance, and check out the regatta wear.

RYC is a very active Club but mostly on the weekend, as such, the galley normally serves dinners on Friday and Sunday evenings with the occasional Saturday buffet. For the Worlds we have expanded the meal service to fill in the gaps as the Club is located 3km from the nearest restaurant and grocery store. This scheme has worked well in the past providing a real convenience for the competitors keeping everyone together and providing a more social time for everyone. It does have a drawback, namely we need to have an idea how many mouths to feed, schedule galley staff and cooks and order food in advance. So please give careful consideration to that aspect , it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks ,
Del

Del Olsen

Post by Del Olsen » Mon May 12, 2014 7:16 pm

OK everyone , at long last the NOR and on line registration is up and running.
Go to http://www.richmondyc.org and click on the link on the front page.
:D
Cheers,
Del

Del Olsen

Post by Del Olsen » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:48 am

Things are shaping up for September. So far there are 15 entries.
We've made every effort to make the process as painless as possible but one thing that might not be obvious is that you should be able to sign up now , then come back and pay later , closer to departure time.
Also it give the volunteers that are arranging for housing a head count, likewise the clothing must be ordered in advance for delivery at the Regatta, the cooks how many mouths to feed, etc.

Some weeks ago we put up a You Tube video with some early Spring sailing and some shots of the '93 Worlds. See if you can put names to those much younger faces.
Search;

International Canoe Worlds 2014 Promo

And hopefully it plays with the soundtrack.

Cheers,
Del

phil r

Post by phil r » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:02 pm

Great video Del, can see you are training hard.
11 UK boats have paid for a place in the container. Our nationals are being held in a couple of days time at Weymouth and it is proposed to have a Worlds team meeting at some point during the event. Will encourage those who have not entered to date to do so.
Phil
GBR 328 Little Scarlet

Del Olsen

Post by Del Olsen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:00 pm

So far 18 sailors have registered for the fun in September, and were looking forward to more.
So far most everyone has requested housing and our housing coordinator , Nancy Pettengill wants everyone to know that if your plans include dated outside the Sept. 4th-17th window you should contact her directly.
Also a reminder that RYC is 3 km from the village of Pt.Richmond so you will need to arrange transportation, car or container bike , if you elect to dine out during the event.

Late last month I put a GoPro on the boom and stuck a speed puck in view and went out for what turned out to be one of the best days sailing on the Bay this season. The wind was slightly more Westerly so it was a no tack departure from the harbor( its usually 3 ) and the wind ranged from 12 to a high of 18 with tide current roughly what the prediction tables say it should be in September.
The video runs about 20 min and is edited from the roughly 21/2hrs recorded.
We did leave the flubbed tacks and capsizes in for comedic relief.
A disclaimer; there is no guarantee that it will be like this in September, but it could!
Enjoy
Del

http://youtu.be/X487VHquZhk

MCR

Post by MCR » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:10 am

Hi Del

I loved the promo video but haven't watch all of this one yet.

I do have a question though. I don't have a Go-pro but it seems to me from watching this one and others that to see if it's working you look into the lens. Is there a little light inside if it's recording? :D (Sorry, just kidding, Luv ya work)

Jethrow
IC AUS-33
Jethrow
AUS 33
Magic Carpet Ride
http://jethrowsicpage.blogspot.com/

Del Olsen

Post by Del Olsen » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:33 pm

Jethrow
You have it . The selfies are because after you press the start button and make sure it's in video mode ,not photo, the record button flashes a faint red light to indicate its doing what you want . You stay in frame and make sure that you didn't double click it, go out get some great action and come in to find you have a 10 second selfie mug shot!
Its interesting to see what you actually do in the Canoe rather than the dance steps you thought you were doing.
Del

MCR

Post by MCR » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:12 am

:D
Yes, the videos I've seen of myself sailing look like those ones of "What you think you dance like and what you actually do".
Jethrow
AUS 33
Magic Carpet Ride
http://jethrowsicpage.blogspot.com/