The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Europa Cup 2016
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:33 pm 

Do we have a location for the next Europa Cup? I thought it was suggested that Holland would be popular, any news?

Colin Brown GBR319

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Europa Cup 2016
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:21 am 

At Travemunde Week possible locations were discussed and a proposal to visit Lac du Der (home of the French Open Skiff Event) in France was a popular option for a venue.
I think it is East of Paris and fairly central for UK, Dutch and German competitors.

It would be welcomed change to visit a new venue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:19 pm 

The French skiff regatta that we cold join in with seems to be held at Easter.....a little bit early really. Am looking at venues for half term ( May) or early summer really.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Gaz

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:07 pm 

I looked up "Lac du Der" and it sits slightly north of the line Paris-Basel, don't know the lake or wind conditions but for sure the food & wine wil be great.

As for a championships in Holland, I have been miserably unreliable in getting anything sorted and even worse, I have yet to attend an AC with our Dutch contingent. Part of the reason being that I have been running the IEMA / Int. 8-Metre Association (sorry, heavy keel boats, http://www.8mr.org) for the past 19 years which takes up much if not all my spare time. I plan to retire from IEMA in 2016 or 2017 and that will free up time to organise a good IC event in Holland.
As for alternative European venues: I have organised over 15 worlds in different places and some that I would very much recommend are La Trinite-sur-Mer, Brittany: fantastic sailing waters, very affordable and the kindest of people, that venue wins hands down. Another great venue could be Flensburg (Flensburg Fjord, Northern Germany), Hyeres (Mediterranean France) and Italy Porto Santo Stefano is great too. In Scandinavia Helsinki could be great but that will be a pretty expensive journey and stay for us all.

As for Holland. My first choice would be Medemblik. They have excellent race management, (host of the Olympic class regatta) generally very good winds and when it blows you are on the windward shore so moderate waves. The other venue that could work really well is Muiden, approx. 10km N.E. of Amsterdam. Nice harbour, perfect sailing (Olympic waters of 1928). Other places would be the lakes like Loosdrecht, Westeinder, Braasem. The lake where we have our IC’s is the Ertvelder Plas but unfortunately it’s much too small for a proper regatta. What I will do this winter is make enquiries at Medemblik and Muiden. See when they have a slot and get a feel for accommodation/camping etc. For the later Medemblik is a no brainer.

As for accommodation, what percentage of the competitors would come with camper or tent?

Cheers,
John

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:18 pm 

After chatting to friends who have been to Medemblik with the OKs, it seems to be a good venue with camping on site. From Travemunde experience....most of the Germans would elect to camp, with a fair proportion of the British under canvas as well.
Gaz

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:35 pm 

Here is the site with some info on the International Sailing Center in Medemblik. http://www.deltalloydregatta.org/venue/

I have raced other classes from there, excellent organisation but would need to check if and when they have a slot and what the cost for running the regatta would be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:51 am 

Medemblik would be great. From other classes I heard that it is a great venue.
I would expect a good German turnout.

The Musto Skiffs have their Worlds in Carnac/France from 3rd to 11th of June 2016 and the International 14s also have their Worlds in Carnac from 22nd of August to 3rd of September.
If anybody knows one of the organisers, that might be a possibility to hook in an existing event.

Arne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:35 pm 

Carnac would be a great venue! The flamingo bar was awesome from my memory...!

As long as we would get a good turnout of British and German boats. I know someone in the I14 fleet if you would like me to find the contact details for the event organiser?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:55 am 

Can someone fill me in on what future is left for the large number of Nethercot IC's ?

The focus is clearly shifting to the development canoes and that's great but at the same time the Nethercots are still fine canoes and could remain a valuable asset to the class as an affordable entry level canoe.

Why not encourage them to come out for Europa Cup, start on the same line and award "The Nethercot Trophy" for the one with the best score in the overall results ?

If there is support for the idea I'll gladly make an effort to find a suitable trophy.

Food for thought ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:52 pm 

I totally agree John
I believe most nations will have a prize for the highest placed OD boat at their Nationals.
Unfortunately I don't think the Euro Cup has a reward for the highest placed OD boat apart from the esteem of being acknowledged you've performed well against the latest designs.

I would support that future European events also acknowledging the lead OD boat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:56 pm 

Seconded
Gaz

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:31 am 

I do support that idea as well!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:15 am 

Does this mean I can go ahead and find a nice trophy ?
Are there any formal procedures I need to follow ?

As for the name for that trophy, any ideas ?

I like the idea of referring to the champions of the OD Canoe builders;

The Tony Miles Cup
Sounds great and o my mind they were the most beautiful IC's ever

The Razorback Cup
Maybe that one is better for the AC's as Rob probably deserves the credit for that great & crazy development!
Question: Is there a perpetual trophy for the AC's ?

The Peter Nethercot Trophy
Not sure about that, I think the Trophy should be permissive in name and character and referring back to Nethercot would make the Slups look out of place. If I were to put up the silver than I would like to include Slups in that OD Trophy Deed of Gift. But then again, that is the design which probably saved the canoes as a class for decades!

Any ideas welcome !

I'll gladly take this one upon me and write a draft Deed of Gift for review and comments.

Cheers to you all,
John

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:18 pm 

Quote:
The Razorback Cup
Maybe that one is better for the AC's as Rob probably deserves the credit for that great & crazy development!
Question: Is there a perpetual trophy for the AC's ?

There is a Euro Cup perpetual trophy for the AC's but unfortunately there were not enough entries in Travemunde to warrant a fleet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:27 pm 

The Nethercott One Design trophy. Is the Europa cup now fixed for Medemblik?