IC from scratch

Use this forum to discuss topics applicable to US & Canadian IC Sailors
Post Reply
Baard
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:33 pm

IC from scratch

Post by Baard » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:21 pm

Hello all,

I recently came across the IC as a potential next project. However since I am both on a budget and enjoy the process of boat building, it would be a strip-planked or stitch-and-glue construction as opposed to carbon or buying one.

In regards to the hull construction, are there plans available? I found the measurement forms for both the sails and hull. I'm fairly confident I could take these numbers and create a 3D model to build from but it would be the first real boat that I've both "designed" and built. For a first go the mast and boom would also likely be wood. It doesn't need to be competitive with the all carbon boats, but I would like to be able to swap a carbon rig for the wood one if the time comes.

As a bit of background of my ability to sail I used to race lasers in high school and a tiny bit in college. I have also spend some time sailing FJ's. As far as boat building experience I've built some Instant Boats by Dynamite Payson, a Pygmy Kayak, and a Sande Ace (small speed boat manufactured in Western Washington in the late 50's).

I appreciate any guidance,
-Jack

gilles
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: IC from scratch

Post by gilles » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:23 pm

hi,

You may ask steve Clark (USA) for a "machete" design .
HELL BELLS FRA33

jimc
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:45 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: IC from scratch

Post by jimc » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:39 pm

Cueing the Clark tribe!

Wood masts on an IC, though, I think you would regret. Of course it can be done, it was done back in the day, but all the extra weight aloft makes the boat much more difficult to sail. As the boats are now narrower and more difficult to sail than they were in the wood mast era that could be rather painful.

Willy Clark
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:51 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: IC from scratch

Post by Willy Clark » Sun May 03, 2020 2:40 pm

Hi Jack,

Sending you a PM now!

Yes, there are lot's of plans available. My brother developed plans for a plywood kit canoe that yields a durable, competitive, cost effective boat. Several have been built over the past couple years. I will put you in touch with the people who have the plans. There are also other techniques, and wise builders in this class who are prepared to share drawings, designs, guidance, etc.

Jim is right though - I think you will regret wooden mast and boom. They have been done, most recently by Paul Miller in the 90s. However the issue is not only that the boat will not be competitive. You will find that, on a boat as narrow as an IC, you want to minimize weight aloft as it will make an already tippy boat much tippier. There are ways to get you a carbon or even an aluminum mast without breaking the bank. We can talk about it.

Best,
Willy

Baard
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:33 pm

Re: IC from scratch

Post by Baard » Mon May 04, 2020 4:10 pm

gilles wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:23 pm
hi,

You may ask steve Clark (USA) for a "machete" design .
Those look like pretty slick boats.
jimc wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:39 pm
Cueing the Clark tribe!

Wood masts on an IC, though, I think you would regret. Of course it can be done, it was done back in the day, but all the extra weight aloft makes the boat much more difficult to sail. As the boats are now narrower and more difficult to sail than they were in the wood mast era that could be rather painful.
A good point. When thinking of wood masts the sailboat I had when I was younger came to mind. While similar overall dimensions, the sectional shape looked like a box. I can see why a wood mast would make learning, or just sailing in general, unpleasant.
Willy Clark wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:40 pm
Hi Jack,

Sending you a PM now!

Yes, there are lot's of plans available. My brother developed plans for a plywood kit canoe that yields a durable, competitive, cost effective boat. Several have been built over the past couple years. I will put you in touch with the people who have the plans. There are also other techniques, and wise builders in this class who are prepared to share drawings, designs, guidance, etc.

Jim is right though - I think you will regret wooden mast and boom. They have been done, most recently by Paul Miller in the 90s. However the issue is not only that the boat will not be competitive. You will find that, on a boat as narrow as an IC, you want to minimize weight aloft as it will make an already tippy boat much tippier. There are ways to get you a carbon or even an aluminum mast without breaking the bank. We can talk about it.

Best,
Willy
Excellent, guidance is always welcome. It could be an opportunity to take a stab at making a carbon-fiber mast. However, I'm sure you have a far more reasonable approach for a lighter mast.

Post Reply