Rules regarding GNAV's and rigging.

If you have a UK related question post it here.

cgould4004

Rules regarding GNAV's and rigging.

Post by cgould4004 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:17 pm

I have recently purchased IC-240 and have decided to strip the boat down and modify it for ease of use. I would like to fit a Gnav (upside down vang) to the mast and boom but I am unsure of whether Gnavs are permitted in the class. My reason for wanting to fit a Gnav is that this will stop the kicker tightening as the boom goes outboard. (current system requires large amounts of kicker adjustment in order to maintain leach tension as sail is drawn in)

The next modification i would like to make (rules permitting) is to have adjustable shrouds and jib halyard linked together.

This would allow me to have a forward rake string and an aft rake string so that the mast can be raked or drawn upright quickly while maintaining shroud and jib luff tension for up and downwind. The kicker would be able to be included much more easily into this if a Gnav was fitted for the simple reason that raking a mast with Gnav will not change kicker/leech tension and therefore be one less thing to worry about when pulling the mast fore and aft.

(Merlin rocket "1 string" system shown below)

http://www.merlinrocket.co.uk/gallery/v ... _above.jpg

If anybody can help me it would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Chris Gould

Steve Clark

Re: Rules regarding GNAV's and rigging.

Post by Steve Clark » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Gnav's are legal. So are multiple purchase shroud adjustment systems. There are , in fact, no restrictions on rigging except a ban on outriggers and spreaders wider than the beam of the IC at the chainplates.
SHC
Beatings will continue until morale improves

cgould4004

Post by cgould4004 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:30 pm

Cheers Steve!

Dreamcatcher

Post by Dreamcatcher » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:25 pm

Would be a good idea for you to talk to John Robson as he has a gnav I think......he'll be at Ally Pally next Sat.