If you have a UK related question post it here.

Post Reply
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:40 pm


Post by charlie1502 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:14 pm

I need a bit of guidance...

I need to stick on a new slotgasket. What product does everyone find best to use?

On a similar note, I've just bought a new spinnaker sock as the old one had taken on an interesting shape. My old sock looked as though it had been glued to the chute tube at one time, is this common/best practice to keep the thing attached?? If it is, what glue is everyone using for this job?
AC GBR 284

Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:32 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Glue

Post by SteveC » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:25 am

No response I see....

I think on my previous boats I actually used silicon as its easier to get off. Suppose for a more permenant and smoother finish job a flexible epoxy mix would be Ok using mostly microballons which are soft and can be removd later with a bit of colloidal silica chucked in to thicken the mix to suit (20%) and stop it running down the case .
Steve Clarke (UK)
GBR338 "Money4Nuffin

User avatar
Christian AUS
Posts: 654
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:02 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Glue

Post by Christian AUS » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:43 am

Selleys Polyurethane adhesive + sealant (pro series?) works well for that sort of stuff.

Back when I played with a sock on an IC, I just had a re-enforced bit sewn in and pulled the sock inside out, screwed it in then pulled the sock back in - ensuring the screw heads could not contact the spinnaker.

Phil Robin
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:12 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Glue

Post by Phil Robin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:20 am

I have always used a contact glue like evostick, which works OK. Bit of a pain to remove, but acetone does the job.
Longterm solution is to have the slot the same profile as the daggerboard, which I have on Scarlett, so slot gasket obsolete! :D
K 41 Conquest
GBR 328 Little Scarlet

Steve Clark
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:26 pm

Re: Glue

Post by Steve Clark » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:23 pm

I used .007" Mylar film for gaskets and stuck it in place with double sided tape. I used to use seam stick that I would get from local sail makers until I started covering wings all the time. Now I have 3m 415-4163 hanging around and use that instead.
Once the Mylar is glued down, i cover it with a layer of sticky back / insignia cloth that overlaps the edges by 10mm or so. Seems to work well.
A bunch of the pressure sensitive tapes are really outstanding and can replace much of what is done with contact cements. You have to get stuff really clean and figure out a way to apply a legit amount of even pressure to make it really work well.
Beatings will continue until morale improves

Post Reply