East coast open

If you have a UK related question post it here.

Alistair

East coast open

Post by Alistair » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:34 pm

Aldeburgh Yacht Club http://www.aldeburghyc.org.uk/ is interested in hosting an open meeting. The club has a long history of canoe sailing dating back to the early days with the de Quincy family. Before we go ahead it would be good to get an idea of how many people might be interested. The idea would be for it to be held in early June, a two day event held on the river. Depending on tide it’s possible to race in the river or further up river at high tide there is room to put in a sausage triangle type course. There is room for camper vans at the club and for the brave you can camp at the end of the dinghy park on the marsh. For other accommodation please contact me. It’s a very nice location with good facilities, if you are intrested please post here or drop me a mail.

Happy Christmas to you all

Alistair
alistairwarren0@googlemail.com

michael Brigg

Re: East coast open

Post by michael Brigg » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:56 pm

It is worth noting that the Nationals at Stone is a relatively short hop round the corner from Aldeburgh.

Option 1.) If the meeting is held on 23/24th June, this would Segue neatly into the "Race per day" Nationals format starting on Mon 25th June and those doing the Nationals would make a full holiday week of it from Sat 23rd June to Sunday 1st July, or if not in the Coffin dodgers Wake could set up and practice / repair on Monday-Weds before the full Champs.

Option 2) A second thought is that with the Europa in Berlin on 23rd July - 27th July it is possible that a deal might be made to leave boats in the Boat park for couple of weeks after the nationals at Stone, with a view to being close to Harwich-Hook of Holland Ferry (which, though a little more expensive than Eurotunnel, puts you @ 200miles closer to Berlin for the Driving part of the roadtrip.) If this option is chosen I would anticipate it would need 2-3days to get to Berlin in time for the first race, and so boat space in the park would need to be begged up until @ Fri 20th jULY 2018

Option 3.)This would also work well if Aldebourgh take the W/E of 7/8 or 14/15th July if you are planning to use the East Coast ferry to get to Berlin, though.

I suspect Option 1.) is likely to attract the biggest improvement in numbers.

Any comments?
Michael Brigg

K102 "Torment." Cold moulded Nethercott
K203 "Moonshadow" Carbon "Pyranha" Nethercott (Spare boat. Needs a polish)

Dreamcatcher

Post by Dreamcatcher » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:00 pm

I'm in
Gaz

Mike Shreeve

Post by Mike Shreeve » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:28 pm

Hello Alistair

Yes I think i would be up for that?

The only question I would have in mind is which boat do I bring, ie if the new rules is finished in time then that one, other wise 295.

Mike
GBR - 295
GBR - 337

robert stebbing

Post by robert stebbing » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:17 pm

Sounds great. I am in too. Thank you.

HughdeIongh

Post by HughdeIongh » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi Alistair

Early June would not be possible for me, but if it was the weekend before the Nationals, and the 3 days of practice at Stone was happening, as Michael suggested, I would try and make a week of it

Hugh

Shaunanderson

Post by Shaunanderson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi Alistair

Would be interested depending on the dates (preferable for me would be the weekend prior to the Nationals).

Shaun
GBR 319 - Stringy Bits

chrishampe

Post by chrishampe » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:49 pm

It would depend on me being able to get the Friday off work to travel