Calling 'Starboard'

If you have a UK related question post it here.

robert stebbing

Calling 'Starboard'

Post by robert stebbing » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:17 am

There are too many bull-headed sailors around. In fact, one, is one too many.
Surely, the preservation of our fragile boats, should be paramount.
As I see it, the fact of being on a starboard tack, does not exonerate the incumbent.
The Rules of Collision Avoidance state clearly that the responsibility lies with both parties.
My understanding of this is that this involves calling Starboard clearly and early, and being ready to act to avoid collision, instead of standing on and waiting for the crunch, thinking that it was not your fault!
But I maybe I am misinformed.

jimc

Re: Calling 'Starboard'

Post by jimc » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:20 pm

There's no requirement to hail starboard in the rules.
I think I'm right in saying the only time a hail is compulsory is when asking for water to tack.

Obviously none of us want collisions, but every now and then, hopefully just once in a blue moon, its probably inevitable that both the sailor on port and the sailor on starboard will be looking somewhere else and the worst happens. Its tricky in canoes, because by the time its obvious that the sailor on port hasn't seen you and isn't going to duck under your stern at the last minute its probably too late to take any kind of avoiding action.

I'm probably a guilty party: these days I don't much like hailing all and sundry round the course, but of course owning the oldest and tattiest boat (not to mention a hull shell built like the proverbial domestic building) its maybe easier for me to be complacent.

simon.hotchin

Post by simon.hotchin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Check out the following link if you would like to see when to make a Starboard call. That is if anyone can hear it over the noise of the sails......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MoBbOsxr5Y

If the link does not work type 'Salcombe Yawl Red Fleet start 2011' in the youtube search engine.

Simon

petermclaren

Post by petermclaren » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:00 am

Jim is quite correct in saying that RRS do not require a boat on starboard to hail one on port. RRS 10 is very clear that a port-tack boat SHALL keep clear of a starboard-tack boat. RRS 14 (Avoiding Contact) says that a boat shall avoid contact with another if reasonably possible: however a right-of-way boat need not act to avoid contact until it is clear that the other boat is not keeping clear, and shall be exonerated if she breaks this rule and contact does not cause damage or injury.

Having said that, a starboard-tack boat will not want to get involved in a situation which will delay her and so a call of "Starboard" is useful to alert the port-tack boat to its presence allowing the starboard-tack boat to continue racing without any slowing.

It is sometimes not easy to see another IC when both are hidden by the sails, and so it is incumbent on port-tack boats to keep an especially good lookout.

Fascinating looking at the Salcombe Yawls: there is a lot of good knowledge of the rules demonstrated (and knowledge of how deep the water is close to the shore!).

Peter
Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular

michael Brigg

Post by michael Brigg » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:51 pm

Having lurked on this site for a little while I am hoping to be in a position to call Starboard some time soon although I would have thought that in a boat such as an IC the foot print of the boat is so large (in terms of width, this might cause such disruption to the hailing boat than it might more often than not be better to hail "Carry on" or "Hold your course" to the port boat. This would be especially important if having to keep clear of a boat that has "completed" it's tack. (as soon as the sails are filled on the starboard tack.) It takes little effort to whizz under their stern maintaining both speed and equilibrium rather than needing to luff sharply to avoid a boat that tacks and then "lee bow's" you, not to mention having to avoid his sliding seat and tiller extention etc. In such circumstances it must be to the starboard boats advantage to keep a close lookout, regardless of whose responsibility it is to do so.

I am hoping soon to learn more about this as my canoe Torment nears readiness to take to the water having been put away for the winter @40years ago! The devil is now in the detail and although I was sorry to have missed the Oxford training several more bits of faffage are presenting themselves.

Made in @1970, with all original spec. she will be well overweight and slow, so perhaps on water encounters will be few. I am on the look out for some old (Non competitive) sails to learn the ropes with.
Michael Brigg

K102 "Torment." Cold moulded Nethercott
K203 "Moonshadow" Carbon "Pyranha" Nethercott (Spare boat. Needs a polish)

steveb

Post by steveb » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:50 pm

Just take them out!!! Zap'm an put a badge on the hull!
Such fun!
Steve AC310

colinbrown

Post by colinbrown » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:19 am

Such FUN !! I remember the red mist coming over GBR 310 and mounting my poor GBR 299 across the foredeck as if in the deer rutting season at Oxford a few years ago. The marks are still to be seen to this day. Whenever the urge takes you a Steve! The IC fleet enjoy better company.

Colin Brown GBR 299/319 now GBR xxx

steveb

Post by steveb » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Colin,
Just read response. Should just say my comment was meant to be light humour....nobody is suggesting 'T -Boneing' a fellow canoe sailor deliberately! A few laughs from friends in the fleet is always a good tonic ! As a stoic 'B' Team member I'll always enjoy 'Such Fun' !
Cheers, Steve AC310. ( it was AC290 by the way)

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:58 pm

Actually calling starboard on a boat that is clearly going to pass clearly without any necessary course change is very annoying. Who is this bull headed sailor in our ranks? Rob

Dreamcatcher

Post by Dreamcatcher » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:15 pm

We've got a pub not too far from us called The Bull's Head.........might it be the landlord? :D

Roger Howell GBR300

Post by Roger Howell GBR300 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:07 am

I am sure I am the Bull Head as Rob remonstrated with me on this subject in the boat park at Oxford as several people will testify.
The reason I did not hail earlier is because I saw Rob look at me at 150m out and see that I was going behind him. I assumed that he would notice that I had a nice big lifter that brought us into a potential collision situation. So I called at the last moment to allow Rob to tack (which he did) but obviously I was preparing to tack to avoid a collision, so Robs precious boat was never in danger.

Roger "The Bull Head" Howell