'Wild Venture' in Yachts and Yachting

If you have a UK related question post it here.

Colin Newman

'Wild Venture' in Yachts and Yachting

Post by Colin Newman » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:30 pm

For those who do not normally see 'Yachts and Yachting' in its magazine format, you need to dig out the August 2014 edition and go to the final page to see 'position of the month, 99', 'difficulty rating 4/5.' Rob Bell needs to tell us how to master this head first capsize technique, assuming the legs in the picture are his!

Fortunately, the IC is not mentioned, but then, come to think of it, the PR experts tell us all publicity is good publicity! Nice legs anyway!

Colin

RobB

Re: 'Wild Venture' in Yachts and Yachting

Post by RobB » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:35 am

I can confirm that legs are mine! Disappointed to have points deducted for difficulty, style I would understand - straight legs next time!
Rob Bell
IC GBR 327 Wild Venture

Yabsinthe

Post by Yabsinthe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:47 am

any chance to view this picture scanned on the forum ?

Colin Newman

Post by Colin Newman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:44 am

Can you do this Rob or anyone else? I do not have the IT know how to do this without help. I do have a printer/scanner so presumably do have the home technology if taught what to do. May be if I e-mailed the scan to someone like Jim Champ, he could post it on the forum?

Cheers Colin

RobB

Post by RobB » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:45 am

Rob Bell
IC GBR 327 Wild Venture

Colin Newman

Post by Colin Newman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:42 am

Thanks Rob, so simple when you know how! In fact just like capsizing in an IC!

You have still not told us how to achieve the head first entry? I am a feet first man myself.

Cheers Colin

Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:04 pm

Criteria for Judging a Dive

0: Completely Failed
½ - 2: Unsatisfactory
2½ - 4½: Deficient
5 - 6½: Satisfactory
7 - 8: Good
8½ - 9½: Very good
10: Excellent
Five Basic Elements of a Dive

When judging a dive, five basic elements need to be considered with equal importance before awarding a score.

Starting Position: A dive is to be judged once the diver assumes the starting position on the springboard or platform. This may be standing facing the water for forward approaches, with the diver’s back to the water at the end of the springboard or platform for backward approaches, or in preparation for a forward or backward handstand take-off on the platform. Depending on the dive, the diver should be standing straight with the head erect, and the arms straight and steady in a position of the diver’s choice.

The Approach: The diver shall, on front approaches, move to the end of the springboard in a smooth motion showing good form. Using no less than three steps, the diver shall execute a forward hurdle from the last step. A hurdle is the jump to the end of the board and must be executed from one foot. The back approach is characterized by a series of arm swings used to initiate momentum. At no time during the back approach shall the diver’s feet leave the springboard or platform. If the diver begins the approach from the starting position and stops, the diving referee will declare a balk and two points will be deducted from each judge’s score. If the diver again starts the approach and stops, the dive will be considered failed and no points will be awarded.

The Take-Off: After completing the forward approach and hurdle, the take-off should show proper balance and control, and initiate a safe distance from the board. The diver must leave the springboard from both feet. On a platform take-off, the diver may leave the platform surface from one foot.

The Flight: The flight of the dive should be smooth and graceful and at no time should the dive move to the left or the right of the springboard or platform, or shall any part of the diver touch either the springboard or platform. During the dive, the body shall be carried in one of the four acceptable positions: tuck, pike, straight, or free.

The Entry: The entry into the water, whether it is a head-first or feet-first entry, shall be vertical or as close to vertical as possible. The diver’s body shall be straight, the legs together, and the toes pointed. The arms must be extended over the head and in-line with body on head-first entries. On feet-first entries the arms shall be straight and at the diver’s side.

Make your own determination.
SHC
Beatings will continue until morale improves