New Boats?

If you have a UK related question post it here.

jimc

New Boats?

Post by jimc » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:30 pm

Well, we've had the worlds and we know what's quick - apparently damn near any shape you like unless you folks can see more pattern in the places than I can... So its time to start plotting new boats. Obviously Alistair's Dragonfly is a very decent bet, and there's a mould available for that I believe. However from my experiments with 257 I would like to go for the Maas shape simply because I think the wider stern helps *me* tacking... On the other hand a mould all for my own self is a luxury I'm not at all sure I can afford... Are there two or three more folk who would fancy a Maas shape boat or just a shell from Bloodaxe? I'm sure if we cross Andy's palm with suitable deposits we could look forward to getting our hands sticky or garages dusty over the winter and have shiny new yachts ready for the 2012 season...

chrishampe

Re: New Boats?

Post by chrishampe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:38 am

I believe the dragonfly mould will allow either style of stern to be built

SteveC

Post by SteveC » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:03 am

I have a male mould/plug for the Morrison Mk2 shape as well now which I may be inclined to lend out or even build a shell or two. Plug is easier for the amateur in many ways as it is much easier to release. Main downside is there is more fairing to do afterwards.
Steve Clarke (UK)
GBR338 "Money4Nuffin

colinbrown

Post by colinbrown » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Do not overlook the Morrison design, it is very fast down wind and in time will be the design to beat in home waters.

chris193

Post by chris193 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi all, well after oxford, some more pondering and quite a bit of continued reading about boats n bits rather than my masters degree, ive come to the conclusion that i had better sort myself out with a DC. Needs/wants are to be able to plop my rig on it from the nethercott, and fittings etc as much as possible to keep costs right down, and along the same linesas this i guess a ply boat is my route to being in a new boat for say, next years nationals at minumum cost. have the space, some time but it takes as long as it takes, some ply tricks and lots of build advice available here in norfolk. Im guessing my easiest route would be a ply boat, something like GER 78, looks like the trick :) Is it possile to buy, sneek peek at the flatpack plans to start model making? Is anybody else doing/done a ply, flatpack build in the UK?

apologies if this is answered elsewhere and ive just missed it, probably so.
Thank ye
Chris 193

Alistair

Post by Alistair » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:48 am

Hi
Or you could borrow Dragonfly's mould, its on the Isle of Wight and it needs a new home, its been sitting out side Andy's work shop since the boat was finished earlier this year and I have no space for it, it would just need collecting.
Ian McFerson (sorry if I have that spelling wrong) is building a ply boat in Scotland, there is a good article on the Oz wed site about the build of '21st century hollow log' by Phil Stevo or Steve Clark (USA) would be helpful, he has built several wood boats. Shame I could not make it to Oxford but if I can help PM me, I am based Norfolk/ Suffolk area.
Alistair

colinbrown

Post by colinbrown » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:24 pm

Perhaps Chris GBR 193 will contact Colin Brown and a newish decked hull may be yours for sensible money. colinbrown828@sky.com or 01642 784918

Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:40 pm

I have finally taken the shapes off of Witzelsucht (USA 249) and Smoke ( USA 250)
The hulls are being fed to hydrostatic programs and the head scratching starts in earnest.
The inaccuracy of tortured plywood is now documented, and I need to figure it all out which of the 4 sides was the best, or what combination is best.
249 has lots of wetted surface, which probably explains why she falls off the pace as the wind gets very light. 250 is better with more rocker and more rounded sections forward. I have a pretty good idea of what to do next.
Within a month or so I hope to be able to send you as a "system" for building either plywood of foam carbon/ hulls.
This will consist of a cut file for the skin ( either foam or plywood) and a cut file for a jig into which to develop the above. This should enable people to build repeatable hulls without the cost of building an actual female mold.
SHC
Beatings will continue until morale improves

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:41 am

Bloodaxe are starting work on a mould for a Maas design canoe. I'm sure they'll entertain orders...