The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: P Y Numbers for 2010
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:46 pm 

I see the RYA has now published the list of 2010 PY Numbers. The AC is down 3 to 870 with the Musto Skiff staying at 875 and the RS700 moving up just one to 857. Surely it is no faster than an AC?

I was pleased to see the IC 'One Design' stays on 905 and that by recording 'One Design' in the published list, implicitly the RYA is accepting that the new rules boats will in due course need a different lower number. I know that Draycote Water SC has been sending in my results in the fast handicap fleet for the IC 'One Design' and I hope other clubs with ICs are doing the same. Chris Gandy who does the on line returns each week from Draycote using the new RYA system got a mention in the RYA Members magazine as an example of how returns should now be done by clubs. He is now on the RYA advisory pannel for PY. He parks his RS300 next to my IC so as you can guess he is well briefed on the need for the IC 'One Design' to get a different PY handicap to the new rules ICs once returns start being made for the new light weight boats!

I have not being doing my stuff to raise the One Design PY as I won the Autum Series and am now leading in the Winter series, mainly because too many rivals have decided it has been too cold this winter to go out. They have a point! One morning after a big overnight frost I had to use antifreeze to get the cleats working, I launched on a reach then found I had a problem. Ice had formed between the daggerboard casette and hull box expanded and made the slot too narrow to get the board down more than about the six inches it was down as I launched. With the board up I could neither tack nor gibe to get back to the shore. The only solution was to take the board out completely, gibe with it in my hand! Big wobble but all was OK once I got the board back in a bit.

Cheers Colin