K136 The Rebuild

If you have a UK related question post it here.

Abu hamster

Re: K136 The Rebuild

Post by Abu hamster » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:34 am

I dont know if anyone else has ever been on their knees recreating the iconic movie scene
where Jack Nicholson breaks through the door with an axe in the shining?

I did this yesterday it was great fun. Photos to follow.

The boat now has the working title Project Midget Here's Johnny!

Am getting fed up of stripping paint now. I have filled 3 buckets and am only 40% of the way though the project.

I have noticed on one side of the deck a patch of dark wood that seems a bit to crumbly for my liking. This may mean the deck has to come off and be replace?????

More to follow.

Am setting myself a target of 30 minutes a day until all the paint is gone.

Abu

Abu hamster

Post by Abu hamster » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:31 pm

Does there need to be a curve on the main deck?

I am seriously thinking about removing the deck on mine? The more paint of the more i feel the deck should come off.

The styrofoam used to support the decks is the a stand stuff used o floors or is it a special stuff?

These and a million coming in your direction very shortly

Cheers

Abu

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:34 am

Abu hamster wrote:Does there need to be a curve on the main deck?
I am seriously thinking about removing the deck on mine? The more paint of the more i feel the deck should come off.
The styrofoam used to support the decks is the a stand stuff used o floors or is it a special stuff?
Very easy to get carried away with these projects... My boat is worth approximately what the strip to bare shell rebuild cost me in materials, but that's because I started with a carbon/foam shell, and I have wound up with a boat that probably isn't too far off the pace. Your boat won't be worth as much when its finished, and won't be as intrinsically fast (how fast we point our respective craft is another factor of course, and by far the biggest one). So you've got to figure that the more work you put in the more money you will lose in the end. This may not be an issue of course, because working on boats can be fun in itself,and one expects to have to pay for fun, but it is a serious consideration. If you take that deck off I reckon the cost, time and work will double, because you will see so many more things you figure aren't quite right and need sorting: its just the way things are. There's also the issue that it would be a terrible shame to put all that time and money into the boat and discover at the end of the process that you really don't like sailing Canoes very much!

Foam isn't the only way of supporting decks, and I'm sure your boat won't be built that way. Don't be misled by what I did with 257 - that's a foam sandwich boat that happens to have ply decks for cheapness, and its an entirely different problem. I would be very wary of having styrofoam glued to a wooden skin, it feels like a rot trap to me, and one that would destroy the boat. Mine rotted out from the inside because wooden frames on a foam sandwich hull was another kind of rot trap. My current project boat (not an IC) is predominantly wood, and she will have no styrofoam anywhere. I don't quite know what I would do with the buoyancy requirement for a wood boat: consult wiser heads I hope, but buoyancy bags or maybe industrial polythene containers would be a good bit lighter than foam...

In conclusion my vote is to keep the deck on unless you have absolutely no choice... With my boat it was pretty much a toss of a coin between doing the rebuild and scrapping the boat and selling the shell off for twenty quid or something, and that was with the situation then as regards rules etc. In the same position now I might well take the other option.
Last edited by jimc on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abu hamster

Post by Abu hamster » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:30 pm

The boat will only be worth what I am planning on spending but I plan to keep it rather than sell it on.

The hull is fibre glass. I plan to support the deck in the footfall area with Styrofoam with a waterproof barrier on top to sheild the Sapele deck that is going on top.

I have been offered some Spruce for the gunnels? Thoughts?

Reverting back to a previous query. What purpous does the concave deck have? I would like to simplify matters by having a flat one.

Am I missing something?

Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:21 pm

The hollow back deck serves two pretty good purposes.
It lowers the CG of the helmsman and makes the boat more stable when you are moving around on the deck. This matters more than you would think.
Canoes that have been built with flat aft decks or even crowned aft decks are harder to sail and are less stable ( and therefore more likely to fall over) during tacks and gybes.
Second, when sailing in light air, you want to have your forward foot on centerline and it is nice to be able to get your knee under the boom in order to get your ass near centerline.
If you can't do this you can find yourself tipping over to windward in very light air.
For me this means that the vertical distance between the bottom of the boom and the deck at centerline ( in front of the seat carriage in it's forward position) needs to be about 650mm.
Typically this has made the deck in the way of the mast step 200mm above the keel and the centerline is a straight line to the stern post.
SHC
Beatings will continue until morale improves

Abu hamster

Post by Abu hamster » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:21 pm

Makes total sense. So ease of build is linked with ease of sailing.. What else can I do to ease the sailing part whilst at the build stage?

Have started to fair the hull. Its currently black, was red, shiny red, white and the original gel coat is greyee greeny. Have decided to take it down to the greyee green for the repaint. Not sure if to spray or brush it yet.

Thanks for all the assistance !

Barry Watkin

Post by Barry Watkin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Abu bit of history,This boat was owned by a friend of mine Phil Baker back in the mid 80's. When I last saw it at Stokes bay she had the dark green hull with a varnished deck. Phil was living fairly near there at Lee on Solent but had spent some time as a member of Banbury SC. I made him the McWilliam sails (blue luff tape/black dart logo)around 84/85 which were on the boat when we found her in a garage at Seaview on the Island a couple of years back. That family (I forget their name) had picked her up from a garage in Cowes run by Phil's dad, they gave her the orange deck so they could keep tabs on there offspring. I did see her in the dinghy park at Farnmore 2007/8 which may have been you or the guy you got her from. So that gives you a poted history, best of luck with her Regards Barry :mrgreen: xGBR176AC
BMW